Selling a home is difficult enough, but if you have a small home you may be wondering, will anyone want to buy my home at all?
Keep reading to find out the pros and cons of having a small house, and what you can do to make your home more appealing to buyers.
Cons of a Small Home
First, let’s discuss some of the cons of owning a smaller home that buyers may be wary of:
- Harder to host – there may not be enough room to comfortably host the family at Thanksgiving, and it could be difficult to have friends over.
- You’re still paying for property – property costs are the same no matter how large your house is. If you’re buying a smaller home you’re still paying the same price for the property underneath as the tenants of the bigger house down the street.
- It can be difficult to get a mortgage – properties valued at less than $100,000 aren’t very popular among lenders, so it could be difficult for buyers to get a mortgage on the home.
Pros of a Small Home
So why would someone choose to buy a smaller home in spite of all the cons? A few key reasons are:
- Less space for clutter – for buyers who take a minimalistic approach to life or have a less-is-more attitude, a smaller space could be the perfect place as there’s less room for unnecessary items.
- Easier to clean – the less space you have, the less space you have to keep clean.
- Cheaper utility bills – the smaller the home the less space you have to pay to heat in the winter, cool in the summer, and run light fixtures in.
How Can I Make My House More Appealing?
If you’ve got a smaller home that you’re having trouble moving off the market, here are a few things you can do to make your home more appealing to potential buyers:
- Plenty of natural light – just because your house is small doesn’t mean it needs to feel dark and closed off. Make sure you’re allowing in as much natural light as possible, and consider adding another window if necessary.
- Make it a tiny home – if your house is 400 square feet or less, you can market it as a tiny home to buyers. Tiny homes are very on-trend in 2021, so use your small space to your advantage.
- De-clutter – the less clutter you have laying around when showing your home, the more spacious it will look to buyers. The more surface area they can see the better.
- Up your curb appeal – the key to selling any home big or small is good curb appeal. Mow your lawn, tend to any unruly flower beds, and consider painting your front door and updating any light fixtures.
Let Local Home Buyers Help
If you want to sell your small home without all the hassle, contact the experts at Local Home Buyers today. We buy homes of any size and in any condition in cash, so call us today and you could have money in hand for your home in as little as seven days. We buy homes in Huntsville, Alabama, and the surrounding areas.